In some cases, a person can manage anxiety at home without clinical supervision. However, this may be limited to shorter and less severe periods of anxiety.
Doctors recommend several exercises and techniques to cope with brief or focused bouts of anxiety, including:
- Stress management: Limit potential triggers by managing stress levels. Keep an eye on pressures and deadlines, organize daunting tasks in to-do lists, and take enough time off from professional or educational obligations.
- Relaxation techniques: Certain measures can help reduce signs of anxiety, including deep-breathing exercises, long baths, meditation, yoga, and resting in the dark.
- Exercises to replace negative thoughts with positive ones: Write down a list of any negative thoughts, and make another list of positive thoughts to replace them. Picturing yourself successfully facing and conquering a specific fear can also provide benefits if the anxiety symptoms link to a specific stressor.
- Support network: Talk to a person who is supportive, such as a family member or friend. Avoid storing up and suppressing anxious feelings as this can worsen anxiety disorders.
- Exercise: Physical exertion and an active lifestyle can improve self-image and trigger the release of chemicals in the brain that stimulates positive emotions.
Counseling and therapy!
Standard treatment for anxiety involves psychological counseling and therapy.
This might include psychotherapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or a combination of therapy and counseling.
CBT aims to recognize and alter the harmful thought patterns that can trigger an anxiety disorder and troublesome feelings, limit distorted thinking, and change the scale and intensity of reactions to stressors.
This helps people manage the way their body and mind react to certain triggers.
Psychotherapy is another treatment that involves talking with a trained mental health professional and working to the root of an anxiety disorder.
Sessions might explore the triggers of anxiety and possible coping mechanisms.